Hey El Moochadors, here’s something I came across while at work today from one of our favorite geeky redheads, Lorraine Cink. This actually goes along with what Trog and I were
bitching discussing on our last Atomic Moocast about how we’re too broke to be geeks…which sucks. She actually has some good ideas here. Check it out:
Okay, now that you’ve watched the video, here’s just a quick response to each point:
- Comic Subscriptions! Great idea! Honestly I hadn’t even thought of trying that. My only problem with that is I have too much coming out of my check right now as it is. Even the $4.99 for the Marvel subscription would hurt right now (yes, I’m that broke). So, until I either pay off some debt (fucking banks… and student loans… and oral surgeons…), or start making more money, I don’t think I can do that. Someday though…
- Antique shops! Another awesome idea! Actually I’ve found some pretty cool stuff in Antique shops like vintage Star Wars Action figues. And the great thing is they’re usually missed priced in your favor! Recently I found a stack of old Starlog magazines from the early ’80s in a local shop. It was kind of neat to read about a time before ESB, when the original Battlestar Galactica ruled geekdom. My only problem with this option is Antique shops creep me the fuck out! Usually their run by older folk that look like they’re scheming to trade a old pack of Star Wars trading cards for your soul… or they’re going to wait until you walk into a dark corner and then club you and cut out your organs for the black market… I dunno. Also, you’re usually the only one in the shop wandering around among creepy looking dolls that may or may not be following around the store… they could be.
- Nerd Organizations! Go to Meetup.com! I found an anime group down in San Diego, Okore, through there. Of course, since it’s all the way down in San Diego, and I’m up in North County, I haven’t been able to afford the gas down there lately. Also, when freelance work comes up, like this weekend, I usually have to opt out and stay home. Still, I’m looking for something a little closer to home, and who knows, if I can’t find something, maybe I’ll start something myself… maybe… like a lonely broke geeks club of North County San Diego… I dunno…
- Beta Testing! Is that were you play video games that haven’t been released yet? Okay, sounds great. My problem: time! That’s why I don’t play video games now. I don’t have the time for them. I recently tried Portal and Portal 2 and lost a whole weekend to them. I needed that weekend. I could’ve got caught up with work, did more for my stock illustration, Atomic Moo, or work for my portfolio. All I’m saying is, out off the shit I should be doing, video games are usually low on my list… no matter how much I want to play them (one day I’ll get to play Halo 3, 4, Arkham City, and Angry Birds…)
- Share Groups! I’ve already got that one covered. I was born into a share group. That’s what you get a when you have a twin. Outside of that, I really don’t trust anyone else (not even sure I trust him… ).
Well, that’s my two bits. Let us know what you think. I’ve got a pork chop in the grill, so later!Tags: Geek, Geek Culture, Geek Humor, Lorraine Cink, Nerdspensive